Friday, 31 January 2014

Curating tools (Week 8 part 3)

Blendspace is a tool which our teacher described as being 'Google's gift to teachers'.

It allows you to curate lessons using digital and other content in an extremely smooth and streamlined way.

It invites the user to make a 'New Lesson' thereby suggesting teachers alone are the target audience for this tool.

You build your content in blocks and really there are no restrictions on the content you may add, for example you are not limited to YouTube videos alone, you can add clips from anywhere on the web. You can add any of your own resources, provided they are accessible from cloud storage on the web. So if you want to add one of your own PowerPoints that would work if it were in Box. Any other resources, such as a Prezi or a quiz would be linked in straight from the cloud.

I tried two Blendspace lessons with my IGCSE Biology students, allowing them to work through the content at their own speed. We were in an ICT room and so I asked them to log on and find Blendspace / Gallery / The nervous System by xxxxxxx (me!). They had to view content, interact with it and complete a standard paper worksheet. After the first lesson they had to look at The reflex arc and do the same. Both of these lessons were completed during a college one hour lesson: efficient.

Using Blendspace was very simple, they did not require a URL nor did they need to join Blendspace, all was easily visible. I realised that actually, they enjoyed finding their lesson in the Gallery and noticing it had been made for them. Once again I had to offer IT support to many of the students who simply were not as intuitive on the web as I would have expected. Many could not understand the tabbed browsing and the need to return to the start page. Also they could not maximise the screen or notice the forward arrows to advance between the blocks. Fortunately for them I am happy to support them and now see the aquisition of IT skills as part of their learning.

My next target is to deliver a class lesson using Blendspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment