The idea behind a Linoit board pinged something with me because I felt I could use it quickly to create something attractive and worthwhile for the students. I decided to make a board about 'Lipids' for the BTEC Year 1 lesson the following week. I wanted the students to be able to interact with me and so I allowed them to post stickies too.
They loved the whole idea and eagerly logged on, I got the headphones sorted (most of them had headphones), then hovered around eager to see how it would all go .......
They started to follow the links and most of them were instantly engaged.
However, there is a gender divide in this group because some of the males are immature. When they realised they could post stickies they started to put up 'bare foolishness' (as some would say around here). Some of it was harmless (even though hopelessly sexist), for example pretending to be a young male seeking an attractive blond. Some of it was not, pretending to be someone else and putting up telephone numbers and insults.
I was genuinely shocked and went around the room asking them to remove the stickies (I did not seem to be able to do so, although I realise now I can). They found it highly entertaining and were so gripped they did not seem to be listening to me. Although they did after a minute or two ...... Eventually they twigged that they had given ME a glimpse into their world and then were woeful.
I observed certain things from this. Firstly, they viewed the virtual world as somehow different to the real world. They did not seem to remember I could see all this. They seemed to think mildly bullying someone was OK. They viewed the things available on screen as some sort of playground for them to frolick in. They did not think the same rules applied. I could see how cyberbullying could come about.
Everyone wanted it to end well and I then started to get some lovely feedback, which remains on the board today.
Since then I have used a board to help the BTEC Year 2 students with a P5 task they always find difficult. This has worked brilliantly and now I am marking the task I am finding the work is far better than it has ever been in previous years. I also made a board about 'Animal nutrition' for the IGCSE Biology students, which they engaged with.
I see Linoit as a really useful tool in my kit and know it is one I will use in future, probably more with BTEC students than with the exam-based courses.
P.S After this experience I was grateful to talk things through with our highly supportive tutor, who obviously encouraged to 'learn from it and move on'.
No comments:
Post a Comment