The very words 'Quiz night' makes me think of all the truly dire fundraisers I have been to in draughty community halls. Sitting at a table drinking cheap plonk, eating salty snacks, waiting for the fish supper to arrive and answering questions. Later realising that some people are really good at this and that I will never ever be able to answer anything in the sports section. Somehow I always triumph in the raffle and in the ladies I once overheard someone refer to me as a 'lucky cow' which really made my night.
The Internet offers us some slick software for creating a quiz and once again, if I was to build up my stock of such quizzes I could create some genuine learning opportunities for students. The questions can be tricky and designed to really make you think. The quiz I am about to link was one I started in December and have just finished now (January), it was my quiz and I had to think about the answers! Called 'Meiosis' and made using ProProfs.
Quizlet appears to be the BOSS of all quiz sites, you make a set of flashcards (as many as you like) and then these feed into 6 different quizzes all of which are TOTALLY AWESOME. One of these is a spelling quiz in which a voice reads out the key words and the quizzer types it. I made a set of flashcards called 'Protein synthesis and the genetic code', take a look and see what you think.
Quizzes surely come under the umbrella of gamefication (a word that must have been invented by G W Bush)? Obviously you could use online quizzes in an IT room, but also I think in a classroom with an interactive whiteboard. In this context I would see them as a starter or plenary and not a main lesson activity. If you were really keen you could make quizzes to use as a 'flipped learning' or revision activity, but that would take dedication to the cause. There is the option of finding quizzes made by other people, but I tend to find I don't trust a thing unless I have made it myself, especially when you are dealing with facts that have to be spot on.
No comments:
Post a Comment