Reversing those arrows, that's all it is.
The old model for using the Internet is this: log on, go to favourite sites, look for interesting new content, waste lots of time.
The arrows are going out from me the user to those sites.
The new model for using the Internet is this: log on, go to Twitter or an RSS feed of choice, look at the interesting content waiting there for me to view, waste lots of time.
The arrows are now coming back to me the user from those sites.
If as a teacher I now design content for my students I can push it to them using an RSS feed (there is one available on the VLE) or on Twitter. The latter has become the BOSS and is the one most people are using now. Probably because the ability to tweet and use the hashtag makes it interactive and incredibly powerful. Also you can follow all sorts of interesting people and football clubs. At the time of writing this blog I am still adjusting to this idea and have yet to see how I could make it work in my teaching life. However, I certainly will be encouraging my students to get Twitter accounts and to start following interesting and relevant things.
I now realise many of the apps on my iPhone use push technology and that I need to turn this function on. Also need to start thinking about push technology and its relevance to teaching.
Here's a random image I made using Photofunia, it features one of my daughters and one of my nieces
And another I made using Redkid:

No comments:
Post a Comment