Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Experiencing multimedia via Funky Vibes (Week 8)

Do you like my YouTube playlist 'Funky Vibes' Apparently it's not too bad, apart from the Mariah Carey.

AM and I made a quick video clip to test out the series of steps: make, upload to YouTube, embed in blog.
Here it is:
I must say, this is proving to be really useful.

I have instinctively resisted using any form of media that features 'me'. Yes, as a teacher I do not shrink away from the spotlight, but this is not like a lesson. In a lesson it is always organic and slightly unpredictable, there is interaction between teacher and student and things develop. With a 'here's one I made earlier' multimedia resource you are saying 'look at me' and 'listen to me' in a different sort of way. So here it is, an Audioboo recording (called a 'boo') called 'Young nurse in London', it could be sharper, but it's a start.

Multimedia is now a rather dated word I feel, a sentiment embedded (lol) in this definition: multimedia

I think the best use for recording stylee multimedia is to hand it over to the students. I envision asking students to make phone recordings of themselves which they upload to YouTube, easily possible with a Google account. I also see a use for Audioboo, they can record explanations of concepts to show me they are learning, this could be done singly or in pairs as an interview. All forms of recording can then be linked to a blog, the VLE, even a PowerPoint slide :) This is something I am going to do and is truly active.

One of my colleagues on our course last week made a quest lesson based on QR codes. Using the QR Stuff site and the plain text option she made questions and locations. The students set off to the first QR code which they scanned to get the first question and the next location. They hurtled round the college finding and scanning codes until they reached the end point. Here they had to record a video which they uploaded to YouTube. I felt amazed and rather envious. It wasn't just about the speed of completion, it was also about creating good answers, because once on their phones the questions were there. This took quite some organisation, but I believe was so worth it. One of the underlying messages must be that neat use of technology is such an enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment